Upper Elementary Summer Reading
It is essential to cultivate the habit and enjoyment of reading in every child. Set aside times this summer when your children are expected to read. It is often helpful to have family quiet time for reading. At this age at least 30 minutes of sustained reading is considered essential to making steady progress.
There are two summer reading requirements:
- Each grade has a required book. Please have your child bring the book to class on the first day, so they’re ready to dive into discussions during their first week of language arts class.
- Fourth Grade: The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser
- Fifth Grade: Wonder by R.J. Palacio
- Sixth Grade: Stella by Starlight by Sharon Draper
- Students should also read at least five additional books of their choosing. If they’re looking for inspiration, current UE students have plenty to offer. Their recommendations will be posted on this website all summer, and you can find them here, or in the menu bar to the left. You can also check in with our librarian Ms. Mbaye before school ends. She has fostered a genuine love of reading amongst our students and does an excellent job connecting students to books they might enjoy every week.
If you want more information on any title, especially in terms of content appropriateness for your particular child, Common Sense Media is an excellent resource.