The Campaign for MMS
Giving Eager Minds Room to Grow: The Campaign for MMS is a transformative effort to enhance the environment where MMS students explore, learn, and take part in the rich experiences that remain with them for a lifetime. The campaign has created a more beautiful and open space that better accommodates the MMS students and enables faculty to offer even more enriching programs and curricula.
It may be hard to imagine a time without our fabulous new space, and while this historic project (which began in 2011 when the School purchased 325 W. 85th Street) is complete physically, we still need your help bringing the fundraising effort for the building across the finish line.
As the school had committed to our students and families, MMS opened its doors on time on the first day of the 2016-2017 school year. Because of the generosity and foresight of our trustees and other members of the MMS community, we have already raised over 85% of our philanthropic goal of $4 million for the project. We ask all members of the community consider a gift to this campaign. Your gift will allow MMS to maintain its strong financial position while continuing its important mission of providing children “an education for life.”
The overall cost of the project was $12.7 million. And MMS utilized three revenue sources to complete the building: MMS cash reserves, debt financing and a goal of raising $4M in philanthropic support. The majority of initial costs were paid through financing and cash reserve funds understanding the philanthropic support would likely come in the form of gifts and pledges paid during and after the construction project.
As of October 2017, MMS has raised $3.41 million dollars toward our philanthropic goal of $4 million. We invite all members of the community to support The Campaign for MMS with a contribution before April 2018. Your support is the missing piece that will bring this historic effort across the finish line. Give today.
Thank you to the families and donors who have already contributed generously!
Ways to give:
- Checks payable to Metropolitan Montessori School with “Capital Campaign” in the subject line. Gifts can be sent to: Development Office at Metropolitan Montessori School, 325 West 85th Street, New York, NY, 10024.
- Credit card gift online
- Stock gift (scroll down)
- Gifts over $2,500 can be pledged over two years. Please reach out to Aferdita Hakaj, Director of Development (email@example.com).
THE 1964 SOCIETY
Head of School Honorary – Over $50,000
Maria Montessori Council – $25,000 and up
Founder – $15,000 to $24,999
Patron – $10,000 to $14,999
Society Benefactor – $5,000 to $9,999
Pacesetter – $2,000 to $4,999
SUPPORTERS OF MMS
Friend – $500 to $1,999
Contributor – up to $499
Thank you in advance for your support!
MMS's Buildings: A History
• 1964: MMS founded in St. Michael’s Church Parish House at 99th Street and Amsterdam Avenue
• 1996: Moved from St. Michael’s to 325 West 85th Street
• 2011-2012: Board purchased 325 building and the adjacent townhouse
• 2014-2016: Master planning and construction of new facility
• September 2016: Renovated building opened on time for the start of the 2016-2017 school year