Learn More About Metropolitan Montessori School
We invite you to visit the school and observe the learning that takes place in all classrooms. To arrange a tour, please contact Admissions Director Blair Bizzell-Hatcher.
Metropolitan Montessori is accredited by the American Montessori Society and the New York State Association of Independent Schools. The websites of both organizations provide resources for parents about choosing a school and supporting their children’s education.
Metropolitan Montessori also is affiliated with the Independent School Admission Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY) and the Parents League of New York. The ISAAGNY website offers information to parents about how to manage the admissions process for its member independent schools. The Parents League offers many programs and resources about parenting and education in the city.
To learn more about the principles underlying Metropolitan Montessori’s educational program, we recommend the following books.
- The Absorbent Mind by Maria Montessori
- Montessori Today by Paula Lillard
- Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius by Angeline Stoll Lillard
- Understanding Montessori: A Guide for Parents by Maren Schmidt
- Montessori Madness: A Parent to Parent Argument by Trevor Eissler
- Montessori From the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three by Paula Polk Lillard and Lynn Lillard Jessen
- Montessori—A Modern Approach by Paula Polk Lillard
Other books that support our educational philosophy include:
- The Essential Conversation by Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot
- Mindset by Carol S. Dweck
- How Children Succeed by Paul Tough
- Teach Your Children Well by Madeline Levine