How to Apply
Children should typically be 3 years old by September to start school. Those children who turn 3 in September or October of their first year at MMS usually spend a fourth year in the Early Childhood program before moving up to the Elementary program. If you have questions about admissions to the school, please call Heidi Morrison at 212-579-5525, ext. 116.
The Admissions Process (September through March)
- Inquiries: For an overview of the school, you may download our admissions brochure. If you have other questions, you may submit them online. Otherwise, please move on to the next step.
- Pay the application fee: Please pay the $60 fee before completing your application. The payment may be made using your credit card through the Paypal link on this page, or by check, made payable to Metropolitan Montessori School and mailed to the Admissions Office at 325 West 85th Street, New York, NY 10024. Please indicate your child’s name on the check.
- Submit an application: We encourage families to complete our online application. Metropolitan Montessori is no longer accepting applications for our kindergarten and Elementary programs. Candidates for our 3- and 4-year-old spaces will be considered. You may also download the application in PDF and return the completed form to MMS by mail or fax (212-579-5526). Please include an optional photo of your child or family. We begin to process applications after Labor Day.
- Schedule parent and child visits: After your application is received, we will contact you to arrange a parent tour and child visit. Hour-long tours start at 9:15 a.m., and offer an opportunity to observe children at work. Child visits are conducted in small groups supervised by our teachers. One parent or caregiver is required to attend with the child. Applications must be received before appointments are scheduled.
- School Reports: School forms should be completed by your child’s current teacher and sent directly to the Metropolitan Montessori School Admissions Office, 325 W. 85th St., New York, NY 10024, or via email.
- ERB test: We require a test report from the Educational Records Bureau for applicants to Grade 1 and higher. For more information, and to schedule a test date, go to the bureau’s online registration portal or call 212-672-9800. Reports are not ready until 6 to 8 weeks after the test date, so it is a good idea to schedule the appointment for early fall.
Application deadline and notification
Decisions will be mailed according to the schedule established by the Independent Schools Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY):
Early Childhood: Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Kindergarten/Grade 1: Friday, February 7, 2014
Grades 2 to 5: Tuesday, February 4, 2014
Please consult the ISAAGNY website for more information.
The MMS community encourages diversity within the student body, faculty, and administrative staff. In order to create an inclusive environment and prepare our children for a multicultural world, MMS welcomes all types of diversity, including, but not limited to, race, socioeconomic status, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, family structure, learning style, physical differences, and religion.