How to Apply
We are excited about your interest in applying to the Metropolitan Montessori School (MMS).
Children should typically be 3 years old by September to start school. Children who turn 3 between September and December of their first year at MMS spend a fourth year in the Early Childhood program before moving up to the Elementary program. To apply for our Kindergarten program, your child will turn 5 by September 1. If you have questions about admissions to the school, please contact the Admissions Office at 212-579-5525, ext. 116.
Contact The Admissions Office for January openings: email@example.com or 212-579-5525 ext. 116.
The Admissions Process (September through March)
- Inquiries: For an overview of the school, you may download our admissions brochure. If you have other questions, you may submit them online.
- Submit an application: We encourage families to complete our online application. If you have any difficulties with the online application, please contact the Admissions office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a $60 application fee for each child. Please include an optional photo of your child or family. Applications are due by January 15, 2016.
- Schedule parent and child visits: After your application is received, we will contact you to arrange a parent tour and child visit. Approximately hour-long tours which begin at 9:15 a.m., and offer an opportunity to observe children at work. Child visits are conducted in small groups supervised by our teachers. One parent or caregiver is required to attend with the child. Applications must be received before appointments are scheduled. Three- and four- year old applicants visit on two Saturdays: December 12, 2105 and January 23, 2016. Kindergarten and older applicants visit during the week in January.
- School Reports: There are two forms to be completed. The first form, please complete and provide to your child’s teacher so they can release appropriate records to the MMS Admissions Office. The second form is outlined below by your child’s age. Please ask your child’s current teacher to complete the form and send it directly to the Metropolitan Montessori School Admissions Office, 325 W. 85th St., New York, NY 10024, or via email email@example.com.
- For three- and four-year-old applicants, please use this form.
- ERB test: We require a test report from the Educational Records Bureau for applicants to Grade 2 and higher. For more information, and to schedule a test date, go to the bureau’s online registration portal or call 212-672-9800. Reports are not ready until 6 to 8 weeks after the test date, so it is a good idea to schedule the appointment for early fall.
Application deadline and notification
Decisions will be mailed according to the schedule established by the Independent Schools Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY). Dates are outlined in the calendar to the right.
The MMS community encourages diversity within the student body, faculty, and administrative staff. In order to create an inclusive environment and prepare our children for a multicultural world, MMS welcomes all types of diversity, including, but not limited to, race, socioeconomic status, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, family structure, learning style, physical differences, and religion.
- October 30, Sibling, alumni and legacy applications
- November 12, Open House
- Saturday, December 12, three- and four- year old Child Visits
- December 17, Notification for Early Decision – sibling, alumni and legacy applications
- January 14, Open House
- January 15, 2016, Application deadline for all programs
- January 15, 2016, Financial Aid applications due to TADS
- Saturday, January 23, three-and four- year old Child Visits
- Notification dates for 2015-2016
- February 2, 2016, Grades 2-8
- February 5, 2016, Kindergarten-Grade 1
- February 10, 2016, three- and four- year olds