How to Apply
Children typically are 3 or 4 years old when they begin our Early Childhood program, although spaces may become available for kindergarten and the Elementary grades in any given year. Children who turn 3 in September or October of their first year at MMS usually spend four years in Early Childhood before moving up to the Elementary program.
The Admissions Process (September through March)
- Request information: For an overview of the school, you may download our admissions pamphlet. If you have other questions, you may submit them online.
- Pay the application fee: Please pay the $40 fee before completing your application. The payment may be made using your credit card through the Paypal link on this page, or by check, made payable to Metropolitan Montessori School and mailed to the Admissions Office at 325 West 85th Street, New York, NY 10024. Please indicate your child’s name on the check.
- Submit the application: We encourage families to complete our online application. You may also download the application in PDF and return the completed form to MMS by mail or fax (212-579-5526). Please include an optional photo of your child or family.
- Schedule parent and child visits: After your application is received, we will contact you to arrange a parent tour and child visit. Hour-long tours start at 9:15 a.m., and offer an opportunity to observe children at work. Child visits are conducted in small groups supervised by our teachers. One parent or caregiver is required to attend with the child. Applications must be received before appointments are scheduled.
- Early Childhood applicants: If your child is enrolled in a nursery school, enrichment class, or play group, we require a report from that program.
- Kindergarten and Elementary applicants: We require a test report from the Educational Records Bureau. For more information, and to schedule a test date, go to the bureau’s online registration portal or call 212-672-9800. Reports are not ready until 6 to 8 weeks after the test date, so it is a good idea to schedule the appointment for early fall. We also require a school report from your child’s current teacher.
Application deadline and notification
Applications must be submitted by January 9, 2013. Decisions will be mailed according to the schedule established by the Independent Schools Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY):
Early Childhood: Wednesday, February 13, 2013
Kindergarten/Grade 1: Friday, February 8, 2013
Grades 2 to 5: Monday, February 4, 2013
Please consult the ISAAGNY website for more information.
The MMS community encourages diversity within the student body, faculty, and administrative staff. In order to create an inclusive environment and prepare our children for a multicultural world, MMS welcomes all types of diversity, including, but not limited to, race, socioeconomic status, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, family structure, learning style, physical differences, and religion.