How to Apply
Children should typically be 3 years old by September to start school. Children who turn 3 in September or October of their first year at MMS usually spend a fourth year in the Early Childhood program before moving up to the Elementary program. If you have questions about admissions to the school, please call Admissions Director Blair Bizzell-Hatcher at 212-579-5525, ext. 116.
Applications for the 2014-2015 school year are closed for most classes. Parents of 3- and 4-year-olds may contact Blair Bizzell-Hatcher for information about possible openings.
The Admissions Process (September through March)
- Inquiries: For an overview of the school, you may download our admissions brochure. If you have other questions, you may submit them online. Otherwise, please move on to the next step.
- Pay the application fee: Please pay the $60 fee before completing your application. The payment may be made using your credit card through the PayPal link on this page, or by check, made payable to Metropolitan Montessori School and mailed to the Admissions Office at 325 West 85th Street, New York, NY 10024. Please indicate your child’s name on the check.
- Submit an application: We encourage families to complete our online application. If you have any difficulties with the online application, please contact the Admissions office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include an optional photo of your child or family. We begin to process applications after Labor Day.
- Schedule parent and child visits: After your application is received, we will contact you to arrange a parent tour and child visit. Hour-long tours start at 9:15 a.m., and offer an opportunity to observe children at work. Child visits are conducted in small groups supervised by our teachers. One parent or caregiver is required to attend with the child. Applications must be received before appointments are scheduled.
- School Reports: School forms should be downloaded from our website. Please ask your child’s current teacher to complete the form and send it directly to the Metropolitan Montessori School Admissions Office, 325 W. 85th St., New York, NY 10024, or via email at email@example.com.
- For three- and four-year-old applicants, please use this form.
- For kindergarten and first grade applicants, please use this form.
- ERB test: We require a test report from the Educational Records Bureau for applicants to Grade 2 and higher. For more information, and to schedule a test date, go to the bureau’s online registration portal or call 212-672-9800. Reports are not ready until 6 to 8 weeks after the test date, so it is a good idea to schedule the appointment for early fall.
Application deadline and notification
Decisions will be mailed according to the schedule established by the Independent Schools Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY). Please consult the ISAAGNY website for more information.
The MMS community encourages diversity within the student body, faculty, and administrative staff. In order to create an inclusive environment and prepare our children for a multicultural world, MMS welcomes all types of diversity, including, but not limited to, race, socioeconomic status, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, family structure, learning style, physical differences, and religion.
May 12, 2014
Open House for prospective kindergarten and Elementary applicants, 9 am
Online application available for 2015
Applications begin to be processed
Parent tours begin
Sibling and staff applications due
Prospective student visits
Admissions application deadline
Financial aid application due
School reports and ERB test scores due
Prospective students visit
Grades 2-5 contracts mailed
Kindergarten and grade 1 contracts mailed
Pre-K contracts mailed