How to Apply
We are excited about your interest in applying to the Metropolitan Montessori School (MMS). While the 2015-2016 admissions season has come to a close, we are still accepting applications for a limited amount of openings in certain grades. Please contact Blair Bizzell-Hatcher at 212.579.5525 x116 before submitting an application if you are interested in applying.
Children should typically be 3 years old by September to start school. Children who turn 3 in September or October of their first year at MMS usually spend a fourth year in the Early Childhood program before moving up to the Elementary program. If you have questions about admissions to the school, please call Admissions Director Blair Bizzell-Hatcher at 212-579-5525, ext. 116.
Parents of 3- and 4-year-olds may contact Blair Bizzell-Hatcher at 212.579.5525 x116 for information about limited openings in the current school year, 2014-2015.
The Admissions Process (September through March)
- Inquiries: For an overview of the school, you may download our admissions brochure. If you have other questions, you may submit them online. Otherwise, please move on to the next step.
- Submit an application: We encourage families to complete our online application. If you have any difficulties with the online application, please contact the Admissions office via email at email@example.com. There is a $60 application fee for each child. Please include an optional photo of your child or family. We begin to process applications after Labor Day.
- Schedule parent and child visits: After your application is received, we will contact you to arrange a parent tour and child visit. Hour-long tours start at 9:15 a.m., and offer an opportunity to observe children at work. Child visits are conducted in small groups supervised by our teachers. One parent or caregiver is required to attend with the child. Applications must be received before appointments are scheduled.
- School Reports: School forms should be downloaded from our website. Please ask your child’s current teacher to complete the form and send it directly to the Metropolitan Montessori School Admissions Office, 325 W. 85th St., New York, NY 10024, or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For three- and four-year-old applicants, please use this form.
- ERB test: We require a test report from the Educational Records Bureau for applicants to Grade 2 and higher. For more information, and to schedule a test date, go to the bureau’s online registration portal or call 212-672-9800. Reports are not ready until 6 to 8 weeks after the test date, so it is a good idea to schedule the appointment for early fall.
Application deadline and notification
Decisions will be mailed according to the schedule established by the Independent Schools Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY). Please consult the ISAAGNY website for more information.
The MMS community encourages diversity within the student body, faculty, and administrative staff. In order to create an inclusive environment and prepare our children for a multicultural world, MMS welcomes all types of diversity, including, but not limited to, race, socioeconomic status, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, family structure, learning style, physical differences, and religion.
April 17, 2015
Spring Open House for prospective early childhood and kindergarten applicants, 9:15 am
May 8, 2015
Spring Open House for prospective kindergarten and elementary applicants, 9:15 am